Membership Types and Qualifications
Please read about the various member types the GSH offers and their qualifications before proceeding with your application.
Active: $60.00 yearly
- Actively engaged in practicing or teaching geophysics or a related scientific field
- Work must have been of a professional nature for not less than eight (8) years
- Must have been of a responsible nature calling for the exercise of independent judgment and the application of geophysical or geologic principles during at least three (3) years of the eight (8) years
Academic Credit - an applicant having received a degree in a scientific field from a recognized college or university may count that time toward a portion of the required eight years' professional experience, not to exceed the following:
- Bachelor's degree equals four (4) years
- Master's degree equals five (5) years
- Doctor's degree equals seven (7)years
Time spent solely as a full-time student, even in pursuit of a doctorate, cannot be counted toward the requirement of at least three years' professional experience of a responsible nature.
Privileges of Active Membership:
- Eligible to hold office
- Voting Rights
- Petition the Council or Executive Committee
- Sponsor Applicants for Membership
- Publish Affiliation with the Society
Associate: $60.00 yearly
Any person actively interested in geophysics shall be eligible to be an Associate Member. Associate Members shall have privileges of membership except the rights to vote, to petition, and to hold office.
Applicants for Active Membership may be granted Associate Membership by the GSH Membership Committee while missing documentation of Active Member requirements remain unfulfilled.
Emeritus: $30.00 yearly
Any Active Member in good standing who has attained the age of 60, and has been an Active or Associate Member either of the Society or of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists for a total of thirty years, including time spent in military service.
Any full-time graduate or undergraduate student at a recognized college or university and interested in geophysics. Eligibility for this membership class shall terminate on June 30 after the student ceases to be a full-time student. All applicants will be verified with their attending university.